BELL (Building Educated Leaders for Life) is a leading organisation providing after-school tutoring to elementary school children living in low-income, urban communities in the US.
BELL’s success meant that it was growing fast and expanding into new regions in the US. BELL needed to extend the reach of its innovative training programmes beyond what was possible for its core training team to deliver. Its team turned to the potential of elearning to provide an engaging, interactive solution that would extend beyond classroom training – to create a blended solution that could support a diverse target audience who required training simultaneously in multiple regions. The elearning needed to act as a prerequisite to classroom sessions, to reduce classroom time and costs.
After a competitive tender, Kineo was awarded the opportunity to partner with BELL. The project scope included:
- 13 interactive elearning modules, built with the Atlantic Link authoring tool and Moodle functionality
- Development and delivery of a highly customised Moodle to launch, track and provide in-depth reporting on learner progress across all regions
- Interim hosting and support for learners throughout the pilot period
Making the most of Moodle
We applied our extensive Moodle experience to create a highly customised platform for access to the elearning. The Moodle implementation includes interactive graphical menus for: modules, learner blogs, a CEO blog to keep the site informative and up to date, a range of activities and assignments for learners to ensure they engage with and apply the learning, and a range of discussion forums actively managed by the BELL team.
Kineo’s research included trips to BELL programmes in New York to feature real images of tutors and scholars in the programme. These form the backdrop for learners to be placed in challenging situations where they determine the next best step to take, receiving feedback from a coach, and direction to supporting information to help them succeed.
A key success factor was being able to report on learner completion by module, by activity within modules, by region, and by school. Kineo developed customised Moodle reports to provide all the management information required to manage performance and completion, and to enable BELL to be self-sufficient in running reports.
- Classroom training costs reduced by two-thirds
- The blended approach meant that BELL could expand into two new regions through the increased flexibility
- 90% of teachers said the elearning gave them a good understanding of BELL's programme model
- 99% of learners said the elearning helped them identify ways to live the BELL mission, vision, and values in their daily work
- 99% of learners said the elearning enabled them to use efficacy to ensure their scholars' success
- 93% of learners said the elearning prepared them to plan their literacy, maths, and enrichment lessons effectively
The Training Magazine Awards judges noted:
- The solution targeted for the least common denominator desktop environment
- Good strategy to extend the programme without staff
- Interesting combination of tools used
- Clear cost savings and increased capacity
- Extensive feedback; learner and management satisfaction high
- Good interactivity