easyJet is the UK’s largest airline and Europe’s 4th biggest, hiring nearly 1500 new people across the airline annually. They aim to get new people feeling part of easyJet as quickly as possible; to understand what they stand for, where they’re going, their role and where to go for support and guidance.
In 2013, easyJet launched their Online Learning Academy using Totara LMS. Through the Academy they offer a range of learning programmes to support the development of their people.
As a 24/7 growing European airline, the induction of their people is no easy task. easyJet needed a blended programme, which made best use of their Online Learning Academy while improving the consistency of message and ability to bring alive the easyJet culture.
Create a brand-led experience that explores each part of easyJet's strategy, ambition, values and challenges to help new joiners get up and running as quickly as possible. Here’s a snapshot of the design and elements that made this learning a huge success.
Innovative Elearning Design
- Personality – A strong brand identity and story that runs throughout
- Excitement – Upbeat video taken from their brand campaign
- Efficiency – Designed for all – content and approach fit for use by all new joiners
- Empathy – Packed with stories from people from around the business
- Exploratory and self-paced – Learners can focus on what’s of interest to them through an open, non-linear design
- Efficient communication – Providing a clear focus on strategy, ambition and values
- Practical application – Give learners a chance to explore the challenges easyJet face and what sets them apart from their competitors
- Strong advertorial messages – Creating a real sense of belonging from the very start
We designed a range of short, efficient and engaging digital resources targeted at delivering key messages in a fun and engaging way. This gave the learning personality, increased engagement and focused the content on the key areas that make a difference. Our aim was to build empathy with the new joiner, and deliver an experience that was welcoming.
A Sustainable Solution
We are committed to delivering sustainable solutions for our clients. For easyJet we selected an authoring approach and tool that enabled them to continue to maintain the content in-house using Articulate Storyline.
This enabled us to deliver maximum return on their investment whilst creating a highly creative solution. We shared the templates at the end of project so that easyJet's team could continue to develop content in-house for aspects of their learning portfolio.
Lucy Ventrice, easyJet Talent & Capability Consultant, confirms the impact it’s had:
"Our induction eLearning modules were part of our aim to simplify and join up our induction experience across all of our populations from cabin crew, pilots and engineering and maintenance teams to our management and administration functions.
We engaged with champions across the airline to develop the content and support the roll out. People love the look and feel of the modules which are very much in keeping with our brand and values.
Kineo understood our requirements and worked with us to get the best from our current platform, materials and budget. They were flexible with timings and getting things moving quickly."
If you'd like to create better onboarding results like easyJet, watch this 30 minute video focusing on onboarding new hires for better results.