Issue 91 – April 2013
Contents this month:
- CIPD HRD Conference: Come and see us in London next week!
- Free Guide: Planning for a multi-device world with HTML5
- Market update: The learning market at HRD
- Top tip: Want to engage learners? Do marketing, not learning
- Survey: Blended programmes – get involved
- Show review: AITD Melbourne
- Award news: Kineo and Halfords shortlisted
- Upcoming Events: CIPD HRD, Tom Kuhlmann Masterclass, City & Guilds Apprenticeship event, ASTD ICE, Totara User Group, and more...
- Now recruiting: become a Kineo person!
Things are hotting up - well it is April, about time we got there. Raising the Kineo thermometer this month:
- Our first appearance at CIPD HRD in London next week - visit us and City & Guilds colleagues on stand 283, join us and M&S at our speaking slot
- A fresh take on multi-device learning and what HTML5 can do for you with our free guide
- Ideas on how the marketing team are your new best friends when it comes to engagement
See you next week in London, or somewhere even warmer in the Kineo ecosystem very soon...
***Dates for your diary***
Conferences and shows
- CIPD HRD - London (UK), 24-25th April
- Tom Kuhlmann Masterclass with Charity Learning Consortium - London (UK), May 14-15th
- City & Guilds Apprenticeship Event - London (UK), May 17th
- ASTD ICE - Dallas, TX (US), May 19-22nd
- Learning at Work Day (UK) - May 23rd
- Totara User Group conference - London (UK), July 18th
- Is Your Compliance Training Ready for a Makeover? - April 24th
- What you need to know about HTML5 - April 25th
- Totara 2.2 Demos (via Totara Learning Solutions) - dates available into July
Join the E-learning Professionals Group on LinkedIn: Over 6,800 of your fellow e-learning professionals are already sharing here. Ask questions, get help – find out what’s really going on in e-learning…
1. CIPD HRD – Come and see us in London, April 24-25th
There's less than a week to go to the big CIPD HRD show. We'll be there at stand 283 with our colleagues from City & Guilds. Come and find out how, together, we're changing the face of workplace learning.
Get ready for the show:
You can register for free here.
It's a big show, with over 100 exhibitors, and it's well worth taking the time to plan your visit. Our crowdsourced tips for making the most of the Learning Technologies Exhibition (which we'll again be attending in January 2014) can also be helpful in planning how to get the most out of the CIPD show.
Join our free seminar with M&S:
We're running a free Technology for Learning seminar on the second day of the show. Hear us and invited guests including Marks & Spencer talk about the 10 Trends for Learning Technology that successful organisations are following: Thurs 25th April @ 2.30pm - Technology for Learning Arena.
Come to stand 283, get your report, enter a draw for an iPad Mini:
In addition to our free seminar, we'll also be giving away free copies of our recent Learning Insight Report at Stand 283. And of course, we'll also be showcasing our recent work and how we and support you with all of your workplace learning needs:
- Custom, multi-device e-learning
- Learning platforms via Totara LMS
- Consultancy and research
- Qualifications and accreditation
- Leadership and Management, with ILM
- Blended programme design and delivery
Whist you're at stand 283, Take part in our blended learning survey at the stand and you could also win an iPad Mini for your (minimal) troubles!
Let's make a date:
It's going to be a hectic few days - so let's make time to meet. If you want to set up a meeting at the show, get in touch with us at firstname.lastname@example.org so we can get some quality time in the diary.
More about the show here.
Looking forward to seeing you there!
2. Free Guide: Planning for a multi-device world with HTML5
You don't need us to tell you that you're living in a multi-device world. The E-learning Guild in the US estimates that over 70% of employees use personal mobile devices at work. What are you doing to get learning to those devices? Our new free guide looks at:
- How to plan for a multi-device world
- What to do with all of the content you already have
- How Responsive E-learning Design and HTML5 can move you forward
You can access it here.
Join us live to take it further: We're hosting a webinar on April 25th to talk all things multi-device, RED and HTML 5. Be great to have you there. You can register here.
3. Market update: The learning market at HRD
Staying on topic - as we approach HRD, we look at what's been talked up at the show, and what that tells us about the state of the nation (or world, if you want to go large) for learning, halfway through 2013.
Read the update here.
4. Top tip: Want to engage learners? Do marketing, not learning
We've been saying it for a long time: If you're in learning, you also need to be in marketing. This month's top tip refreshes that call to action with a look at the emerging trend of content marketing. It brings learning and marketing closer together than ever. If you're a learning professional, you need to know how marketing can do more for your engagement plan.
Read the top tip here.
5. Survey: Where are you with blended programmes?
We're taking a fresh look blended learning, taking these themes and more onboard. In advance of a new guide on the future of blended learning with Oxford Group, we're keen to get your views. If you've got 15 minutes to spare - and would like a free guide for your efforts - take part in our blended learning survey here.
If you'd rather do it live - come to stand 283 at HRD and we'll do it with you. And you can win an iPad Mini for the effort.
6. Show review: AITD Melbourne
Last month, the Kineo Pacific team were at the AITD show in Melbourne. With over 400 delegates in attendance at the Melbourne Convention Centre, it was a great chance for Learning & Development professionals from the Asia-Pacific region to come together, share valuable insights and hear from a terrific line-up of guest speakers. The Kineo Pacific team were ripe with reflections.
Read them here.
7. Award news: Kineo and Halfords shortlisted
It's early in the awards season, but never too early for some good news: We're delighted to announce that Kineo client Halfords has been shortlisted in the BT Retail Week awards for the WeLearn Learning Management System, built with Totara LMS. Congratulations to our great friends at Halfords and fingers crossed for the finals!
8. Upcoming Events: HRD London, City & Guilds Apprenticeship event London, Tom Kuhlman Masterclass, Totara User Group, ASTD Dallas and more...
No shortage of places and cities to catch up in this month:
CIPD HRD Conference and Exhibition - London (UK), April 24-25th
HRD brings together the UK's learning and development professionals to share best practice, learn from each other's successes, network with suppliers, and get ready for the future of L&D.
Join Kineo and City & Guilds colleagues on stand 283, where you can see demonstrations of our award winning work for clients including Vodafone, BP, Compass and many more including an overview of our new services for Apprenticeships.
We will also present at 2.30pm on day two of the event on the 10 learning technology trends to stay on top of in 2013 and beyond.
Articulate Event with Tom Kulhmann, hosted by Charity Learning Consortium - London (UK), May 14-15th
Our good friends at the Charity Learning Consortium are once again welcoming Rapid eLearning and Articulate Guru (and also a longtime Kineo friend) Tom Kuhlmann to London on 14th and 15th May. You can sign up to attend the workshop on how to become an eLearning Pro (sounds useful). Tom's great, and it's well worth sparing the time and supporting Charity Learning Consortium if you can. Find out more here.
City & Guilds Apprenticeship event - London (UK), May 17th
With our colleagues at City & Guilds, we have new capabilities to offer and manage blended apprenticeship programmes. City & Guilds run Apprenticeship programmes for clients including Tesco, McDonald's and Airbus.
The Richard Review of Apprenticeships has stirred up a lot of debate on the future of apprenticeships. City & Guilds are hosting a morning event event to gather feedback and share success stories of Apprenticeships on May 17th at Goldsmiths College in London.
The event will provide you with the opportunity to:
- Contribute to City & Guilds response to the Doug Richard's review of Apprenticeships
- hear about what employers have been telling us in our latest research
- Learn about the new support services for employers that City & Guilds have developed
- Network with other Learning and Development professionals
Our keynote speakers at the event will be Andy Smyth, Accredited Programmes Development Manager, TUI Travel UK & Ireland and Judith Norrington, Group Director of Policy, Research and Regulation, City & Guilds.
Contact us at email@example.com to find out more.
ASTD ICE - Dallas, TX (US), May 19-22nd
Held each spring, this premier event for workplace learning and performance professionals welcomes attendees from more than 80 countries. The conference features 200 educational sessions from industry leading experts and a world-class EXPO filled with the latest product and services available from top suppliers.
Learning at Work Day (UK): Heads up for May 23rd
May 23rd is the annual Learning at Work Day. We'll be partnering with our friends at Charity Learning Consortium to give something back in this worthy event. This year's theme is 'many ways to learn'. We'd urge you to get involved too - find out more here and we'll be posting more info in the coming weeks.
Kineo Totara User Group event (UK) - late June
Following on the Totara User Group events we ran last June and November, it's time to get that ever-growing user group together again. TotaraLMS is a custom distribution of Moodle for the Enterprise, co-developed by Kineo. There are over 100 Totara implementations worldwide, including Sony Europe, Cable &Wireless and Vodafone Ireland. Find out why they've chosen Totara and what's coming up:
We're planning a user group event in London in late June to
- Showcase some recent Totara implementations
- Highlight the new features in Totara v2.4
- Show you where we're taking open badges and apprenticeships within Totara
And of course, talk about your Totara experiences and mingle with our expert team!
Both experienced Totara users and those interested in finding out more are welcome. Keep an eye on our events page or mail us at
9. Now recruiting: become a Kineo person
As part of a much bigger global group, we've got some major growth plans for 2013. That means more great Kineo people. Why join us?
- Work on high profile projects for the world's biggest brands including Vodafone, Starbucks, M&S, Nikon and Sony
- An award-winning employee benefits offer to support your wealth, health and wellbeing. This includes a defined benefit pension scheme, private medical cover, income protection, and much more
- Fantastic career opportunities across Kineo and the City & Guilds Group in the UK and in over 80 countries, and a commitment to invest in and develop you - as you'd expect from an organisation that's been focused on people development for over 100 years
- A great working atmosphere in a friendly and supportive team, on challenging and interesting projects, and the freedom to innovate and think creatively - with offices in the heart of Brighton, London, Sheffield - and beyond...
We're hiring in multiple roles in design, technical, support, project management and sales - come and find out more.
Make a great change in 2013 - become a Kineo person.
Don't miss another edition
Subscribe to our newsletter using the form below.