Issue 89 – February 2013
Contents this month:
- Free top tips eBook: Part 1 – Doing e-learning design right
- National Apprenticeship week – get involved, we are...
- Market update: Tale of two e-learning industry reports
- Survey: Where are you with blended programmes?
- Learning Technologies 2013: our show review
- Top tip: 7 ways to bring learning technology into vocational learning
- Kineo insights: New to e-learning? Start here
- International show reviews: ASTD Tech Knowledge, Israeli L&D Conference
- Upcoming Events: Learning Solutions Orlando, AITD Melbourne, CIPD HRD London
- Now recruiting: become a Kineo person!
Depending on how you count, it’s already spring, or it nearly is. At last. Plenty of green Kineo shoots coming through to share with you:
- Round up of three January shows, including of course Learning Technologies – great to see so many of you and thanks for the great Exit Poll feedback
- A compilation of some of our most popular Top Tips on e-learning design
- A heads up on National Apprenticeship Week, and what we’re doing with colleagues at City & Guilds
Plus our usual market updates, top tips and plenty more to help you unfreeze and focus on the summer – only three newsletters away – which is of course, how we mark time here at Kineo. Don’t you?
***Dates for your diary***
Conferences and shows
- National Apprenticeship Week – 11-15th March (UK)
- Learning Solutions 2013 Conference & Expo – 13-15th March, Orlando, FL (US)
- AITD National Conference – 10-11th April Melbourne (Australia)
- CIPD HRD – 24-25th April, London (UK)
Visit the Kineo Events page. Join the E-learning Professionals Group on LinkedIn: Over 6,500 of your fellow e-learning professionals are already sharing here. Ask questions, get help – find out what’s really going on in e-learning…
1. Top tips eBook – Part one: Doing e-learning design right
Regular readers (I hate to think there’s any other kind) will know that we’re all about sharing. Our top tips regular articles have been running for a few years. We thought it’d be helpful to put them in one handy tome to help those of you who do e-learning design, or need to know good design when you see it. So here it is as an eBook for you to peruse on any number of devices.
Think of it as an e-learning thought a day to get you all the way through to March – when we’ll share the next instalment. Speed readers – you can always go to our app to get the latest tips…
Download the first chapter here.
2. National Apprenticeship week – get involved, we are...
Now that we’re part of the City & Guilds Group, the range of ways we can help you with workplace learning has expanded. One of the most exciting areas we can support is in apprenticeships. They’re a highly effective way to attract, motivate and retain talent in your business; with organisations including McDonald’s, Tesco, TUI and many others reaping the benefits.
March 11-15 will mark the sixth annual National Apprenticeship Week in the UK. Kineo and City & Guilds are supporting the programme with a range of activities:
- Case studies of how apprenticeships deliver benefits: (see our new case studies section here)
- Tips for making apprenticeships work – we’ll be delivering a tip a day during Apprenticeship week
- Webinar with TUI and London Underground on the success of apprenticeships in their organisation, on March 14th at 2.30pm
Find out more about Apprenticeship week and how we can support you here.
3. Market update: Tale of two e-learning industry reports
This month we take a look a couple of new market research reports which highlight the need for a more sophisticated approach to blended learning solutions – one from Bersin, one from IBIS with Learning Light. While they differ on where the growth spots are, both call for an approach which reinforces continuous learning, incorporates informal learning and has a renewed emphasis on quality standards.
4. Survey: Where are you with blended programmes?
Hot on the spiky heels of the industry reports we mention above, we’re taking a fresh look at blended learning. In advance of a new guide on the future of blended learning with Oxford Group, we’re keen to get your views.
If you’ve got 15 minutes to spare – and would like a free guide for your efforts – take part in our blended learning survey here.
5. Learning Technologies 2013: show review
We’re just now regaining our voices after a great Learning Technologies 2013. It was the busiest show in our seven years there – and as always, it was great to catch up with clients, industry colleagues, and new friends.
We’re delighted to have been voted number one yet again in two categories of the exit polls, including the ‘must see’ company of the show – more about those here. Thanks for all of the positive feedback.
But it’s not about exit polls – what actually happened at the show? We share the highlights from the conference and the exhibition in our show round-up here.
6. Top tip – 7 bright ideas for learning technologies in vocational education
We’ve partnered with City & Guilds at the show to be Learning Ambassadors for Towards Maturity – Laura Overton’s done great work promoting good practice in the industry, and we’re proud to support it. As part of Learning Technologies we took part in the Bright Ideas programme. Our contribution was 7 tips on using learning technologies to build vocational skills.
You can read our Bright Ideas here.
See all of the Bright Ideas from the Towards Maturity Ambassadors here.
7. Kineo insights: New to e-learning? Start here
One of the things that struck us recently at Learning Technologies is how overwhelming our e-learning world can be for first timers. In a bid to go back to basics, we put together a quick overview. If you’re new to the party, you might do worse than start with our intro guide here.
8. International show reviews: ASTD TK13, Israeli L&D Conference
We know there’s an e-learning world beyond the UK – because we’re in it. Or, more specifically, our global team has been at two other e-learning shows over the past month:
ASTD Tech Knowledge 2013, San Jose: We share our live blog notes and round up from the show here.
Israeli L&D conference: Kineo’s Amir Elion chaired the 20th Anniversary of the conference – find out how it went here.
Lots more shows and visits to come this year – speaking of which...
9. Upcoming Events: Learning Solutions Orlando, AITD Melbourne, CIPD HRD London
Florida. Melbourne. London. Spot the odd one out.
Ok, It’s a trick question. We’re going to be at shows in all of them. Even the one that doesn’t have a beach.
National Apprenticeship Week – Across the UK, March 11-15Join our webinar on March 14th to hear case studies of Apprenticeship success in TUI, London Underground and more.
Learning Solutions 2013 Conference & Expo - Orlando March 13-15Our US team takes a working spring break at the Disney resort – come and join us.
AITD National Conference – Melbourne, April 10-11As well as exhibiting and sponsoring the Australia event, Kineo are appearing in workshops at the show including a case study on the Ministry of Health (NZ): Taking your eLearning over the Wall. More details to follow soon, so keep an eye on our Events page.
CIPD HRD Conference and Exhibition – London, April 24-25Two days packed full of 100+ leading suppliers, 60+ free learning and networking sessions, product demonstrations and tailored solutions to your L&D, talent development, learning evaluation, training, OD, coaching, change management, e-learning challenges and more. Join us on stand 283 (between the Technologies and Learning Seminar area) and at our seminar on Day 2 at 11.30am.
Find out about these events and many more on the Kineo Events page.
10. Now recruiting: we’re ambitious and growing – join Kineo
Now a City & Guilds Business, we’re part of a much bigger global group, and we’ve got some major growth plans for 2013. That means more great Kineo people.
We’re hiring in multiple roles – in design, technical, support, project management and sales. Find out more here.
Why join us?
- Work on high profile projects for the world’s biggest brands including Vodafone, Starbucks, M&S, Nikon and Sony
- An award-winning employee benefits offer to support your wealth, health and wellbeing. This includes a defined benefit pension scheme, private medical cover, income protection, and much more
- Fantastic career opportunities across Kineo and the City & Guilds Group in the UK and in over 80 countries, and a commitment to invest in and develop you - as you’d expect from an organisation that’s been focused on people development for over 100 years
- A great working atmosphere in a friendly and supportive team, on challenging and interesting projects, and the freedom to innovate and think creatively – with offices in the heart of Brighton, London, Sheffield – and beyond...
Make a great change in 2013 – become a Kineo person.
Don't miss another edition
Subscribe to our newsletter using the form below.