Issue 86 – November 2012
Contents this month:
- Free report: Kineo and E-learning Age Learning Insights report
- Learning Insights live: what we shared...
- Awards round-up: our wins in three continents!
- Top tip: Responsive E-learning Design for everywhere
- Market update: 10 trends for learning technology
- Elearning in the US: Learning 3.0, DevLearn and Brainshark updates
- Totara updates: 2.2 update, Elearnity review
- Upcoming events: LSG Webinar with City & Guilds Dec 6th, E-learning Network Event Dec 6th, Learning Technologies
- Kineo News: Community day, Articulate Offer, now hiring
It's always a good time to reflect on what you're doing - if you're keen to learn. Which we are, reassuringly. We've been privileged to spend time recently with over 30 organisations, learning from them about what's working in learning technologies. What separates hype from reality - what's really happening? The results and ten trends that emerged are fascinating - and all here for you in our new Learning Insights Report, co-authored with E-learning Age.
We look at the trends in action through our updates, examples and tips this month. We're delighted to update on our round of awards, and we're looking forward to the next set of events and opportunities to share ideas.
It still amazes and excites us that there's so much to explore and do in this industry. As one commentator in the report put it: "There's never been a better time for learning technology to demonstrate the value it brings to business". We couldn't agree more.
See you next month for more of the different - never the same...
***Dates for your diary***
Conferences and shows
- Elearning Network 25th Birthday Bash: 6 Dec, London
- Learning Technologies: 29-30 January, 2013, London
- ASTD TechKnowledge: 30 Jan - 1 Feb, San Jose (CA)
- Putting the Design Back into Instructional Design: 5 Dec, 3pm AEST/1pm NZ
- Kineo and City & Guilds Learning and Skills Group: 6 Dec, 10am
- Totara 2.2 Demos (via Totara) - dates available into December
Join the E-learning Professionals Group on LinkedIn: Over 6,000 of your fellow e-learning professionals are already sharing here. Ask questions, get help – find out what’s really going on in e-learning…
1. Free report: Kineo and E-learning Age – Learning Insights report
We’ve mentioned it before but just in case you missed it... Kineo means “to stir things up”. One way we’ve always tried to do that is through doing original research, cutting through the hype to show what’s really happening on the ground with learning technology, stick our necks out with some predictions about where things are going, and of course, share the free thinking with you.
The good people at E-learning Age are kindred spirits. Earlier this year we decided to work together to produce a report that went to the heart of what’s happening.
We’ve talked to over 30 leading organisations, including Aviva, BT, BP, British Army, Lloyds TSB, Vodafone and many more. They were open and honest about the challenges and opportunities in learning technology, and how they were dealing with them.
10 key trends emerged from this research, and these are explored in the report which opens with a foreword from Clive Shepherd, and ends with a 2013 e-learning to-do list based on the Report's findings. (Yes, we know you can make your own to-do list – just do it before someone else does it for you...)
We officially launched the report at the E-learning Awards earlier this month – and we’re thrilled to share it with you today. Find out why it’s a great time to be in learning technologies.
Agree with the 10 trends? Got 11 more you want to share? Keep the discussion going - join the E-learning Professionals Group on LinkedIn where we’re discussing the report... and possibly talking about you. You won’t know unless you check.
2. Learning Insights Live: What we shared...
You know we like to talk. We were keen to take the Insights Report out on the road and bring it to life. So just a week after launch, we found ourselves – and about 100 of you - gorging on cakes at our hosts City & Guilds’ offices in London. But was there food for thought beyond the pastries? You bet...
Find out about the sessions, examples and insights we shared here.
3. Awards Round-up: our wins in three continents
It’s that season again and we’re delighted to have had successes recently, wherever you look:
- Compliance Training Gold Award – A prestigious Brandon Hall Gold Award in the US for Kineo's work with Warner Bros.
- Best Private Sector E-learning Project – A silver award from UK E-learning Awards for Kineo's work with Nikon
- Best Not for Profit E-learning Project – A bronze award from UK E-learning Awards for Kineo's work with Whizz-Kidz
Totara LMS, a custom distribution of Moodle co-developed by Kineo, has also recently won awards including:
- The Excellence Award for Best Open Source Solution - The US 2012 Best of Elearning! Awards
- The Best Use of Open Source in Business in the New Zealand 2012 open source awards
- A Top 20 Learning Portal Company 2012 selected by TrainingIndustry.com in the US
We’re really delighted for our clients and our teams to see work being recognised like this – well done everyone!
4. Top tip: Keeping up with the Jobsians... making responsive e-learning work on older browsers
Responsive e-learning design (RED) is a key trend in our report. People want one version of their e-learning that works everywhere. So RED is potentially the magic bullet. But what happens when we run into much older browsers? Can’t get through their armour? Game over? No, game on… with Google Chrome Frame. We talk technical about making sure responsive E-learning reaches everyone in this month’s top tip: Keeping up with the Jobsians.
5. Market update: 10 trends for learning technology
This month we give a further rundown of the key 10 trends and how they’re impacting the market. Soon you’ll know them by heart. Read the update here.
6. Elearning in the US: Learning 3.0, DevLearn and Brainshark updates
Our US team has been busy this month, with round ups from three events to share:
- Learning 3.0: Sweet Home Chicago for a session on HTML5. Find out more here.
- DevLearn 2012: Halloween in Las Vegas. Good setting for anything... get links to our presentations and others here.
- Brainshark’s Boston Shark Meet: Across to the East Coast to show people what this cool tool can do. Find out more here.
7. Totara Updates: 2.2 update, Elearnity review
Totara 2.2 Update
One of the well attended sessions at our recent insights event was the Totara user group. Sven Laux, Kineo Director, talked us through a range of new features for Totara LMS, a corporate distribution of Moodle for business. Find out more about Totara 2.2 here.
Independent consultants Elearnity have been running a series of reviews of LMSs. Their summary perspectives are well worth a read (so you don’t always have to take it from us). Here’s their view of Totara.
8. Upcoming events: LSG Webinar with City & Guild, E-learning Network Birthday Bash, Learning Technologies
We’re always on the road – or at least online. Some events for what little room is left in your 2012 diary:
LSG Webinar with City & Guilds Dec 6th, 10am: City & Guilds and Kineo: Creating an online marketplace for vocational education and employers
Join City & Guilds and Kineo to find out how we’ve partnered to create an online marketplace for vocational education, providing employers, learners and deliverers with relevant learning and learning support. The ‘City & Guilds Way’ combines sector-specific front-end portals with guidance, blended learning journeys, a resource-based design approach, tutor and coaching support, community tools, assessment, and connection to employers. We’ll demo the tool and show how it can support employers, colleges and providers. Email email@example.com for registration details.
E-learning Network 25th Birthday: Kineo Sponsorship
Same day, different thing: eLN is 25 years old and we’re a main sponsor of the forthcoming celebration.
The event takes place in London at the Museum of London on 6th December. The keynote speaker will be Stephen Heppell, the man once called ‘Europe’s leading online education expert’ who will be exploring the future of learning technologies. We’ll be there, showing latest innovations and joining in the celebrations. Find out more here.
Learning Technologies 2013, London
Early warning for Jan 29-30th. We’re at stand 64. Lots more to come next month. Visit the Kineo Events page for further details and our full events schedule.
9. Kineo News: Community day, Articulate Offer, now hiring
We like to get out and help. For our second Kineo in the Community day a group of intrepid volunteers ventured up to Special Branch at Stanmer Park on an unseasonably warm October’s day. Find out how it went.
Articulate offerLooking to buy Articulate Studio, and not sure whether to wait until the new version arrives? With our Christmas offer, you can buy Studio ’09 now and get a free upgrade to Studio’13 when it’s shipped in the New Year: Find out more.
We’re looking for passionate, creative, enthusiastic people to join us as:
- Solutions Consultants (sales role)
- Solutions Architects (Moodle and Totara)
- Senior Project Managers
- Technical Support Developers
- Development Team Manager
- Drupal/front-end Developer
- Flash-based Graphic Designers
- E-learning Project Managers
- E-learning Designers
- PHP Developers
- Software Testers
- Support Engineers
View all our vacancies on the Kineo Jobs page. No agencies please.
NEVER MISS ANOTHER EDITION: Sign up for your monthly dose of Kineo updates direct to your inbox today!
Don't miss another edition
Subscribe to our newsletter using the form below.