Why host with Kineo?
We’re experts in the design and delivery of Moodle and Totara Learning Management Systems (LMSs). We work hard to ensure systems are built to the exacting requirements of our clients, enabling delivery of projects that provide a truly exceptional end-user experience.
The foundation of this experience is a properly configured and maintained hosting infrastructure. We use our expertise and knowledge to provide you with an efficient, fully-managed hosting solution, from which to provide your users with access to engaging, reliable and enjoyable elearning.
Types of hosting available
CG Kineo currently offers three types of hosting environment:
- High Availability dedicated solutions (enterprise grade, for large business-critical sites)
- Dedicated server solutions
- Cloud – secure, scalable and cost-effective.
Things to consider
Many hosting companies offer a one-size-fits-all approach, in the mistaken belief that ‘a website is just a website’. There are many variables to consider when designing and maintaining an appropriate hosting environment. These include:
- Type of site, e.g. a small-scale test pilot, through to a fully-fledged enterprise solution
- Type of content, e.g. simple text and graphics, through to high-end multimedia
- Number of potential concurrent users and type of concurrent activities, e.g. interactive quizzes
- Number of simultaneously-attended courses
- Future requirements, e.g. starting as a small test pilot, with the intention of becoming a large, company-wide solution
- Nature of customised add-ons, each with unique code and resource requirements
Please speak with your Solutions Consultant for recommendation of the hosting infrastructure best suited to your deployment.
Our hosting plans
All of our hosting plans include this extensive range of hardware and services:
Hardware, software and management
- Fully-managed server architecture, ensuring the server level operating system is kept up-to-date and properly maintained
- Firewall protection
- Resource and access monitoring
- Integration of 2048 bit SSL (Secure Sockets Layer) encryption for all login pages (an SSL certificate signed by a reputable authority is supplied with all our plans)
- Specialist server hardware
- Optimally configured software. We use the following as standard (alternative software may be implemented if you have particular requirements):
- Enterprise Linux
- Apache / NGINX
- MySQL (Moodle) / PostgreSQL (Totara)
- Full backup plans: daily incremental and full weekly backups, each held offsite for 14 calendar days as standard (can be extended upon request)
- Generous storage and bandwidth allowances: the majority of our clients never exceed our standard for file storage and bandwidth
- Fast, secure data centres:
- UK data centres based in Manchester and London
- Full 100Mbps connectivity
- Bandwidth reporting
- Service Level Agreement (SLA) as standard
- 99.5% availability (HA upon request)
- 24 hour server monitoring
Technical detail: typical physical design at datacentres
- Mains power backed by MGE UPS and diesel generator(s)
- Sustained power and cooling for 16A racks available across all data centre floors
- VESDA smoke detection & Argonite fire suppression
- Dual redundant fibre ring connecting major data centres
- Manned security on-site and CCTV surveillance throughout
- Biometric and swipe card secure entry to facilities (24/7)
LMS updates – included as standard
When we're hosting your LMS, we will proactively ensure that 'Maintenance' release updates are applied on a quarterly basis (e.g. 1.1.x). These updates typically include bug fixes and/or security patches.
Our standard process is to apply available updates once every 3 months, although we may occasionally recommend expediting the application of a specific update, e.g. if it includes a critical security patch.
Note that we will always seek your agreement before applying any update.
Kineo offers the following hosting services as cost options:
- Content Delivery Network (CDN) solutions
- High Availability and Geographic Redundancy
- Penetration Testing
- Load and Stress Testing
- Extended validation SSL certificates
- Extended retention periods for backups
Dependent upon your individual requirements, a Solutions Consultant will work with you to ensure your precise needs are met.
Get in touch