We’re experts in the design and delivery of Moodle and Totara Learning Management Systems (LMSs). We work hard to ensure systems are built to the exacting requirements of our clients, enabling delivery of projects that provide a truly exceptional end-user experience.
The foundation of this experience is a properly configured and maintained hosting infrastructure. We use our expertise and knowledge to provide you with an efficient, fully-managed hosting solution, from which to provide your users with access to engaging, reliable and enjoyable elearning.
Types of hosting available
Kineo currently offers three types of hosting environment:
- High Availability dedicated solutions (enterprise grade, for large business-critical sites)
- Dedicated server solutions
- Cloud – secure, scalable and cost-effective.
Our hosting plans
All of our hosting plans include an extensive range of hardware and services:
Hardware, software and management
- Fully-managed server architecture
- Firewall protection
- Resource and access monitoring
- Integration of 2048 bit SSL encryption for all login pages
- Specialist server hardware
- Optimally configured software, including but not limited to:
- Enterprise Linux
- Apache / NGINX
- MySQL (Moodle) / PostgreSQL (Totara)
- Daily incremental and full weekly backups held offsite for 14 calendar days as standard
- Generous storage and bandwidth allowances
- Fast, secure data centres based in Manchester and London
- 99.5% availability (HA upon request)
- 24 hour server monitoring
LMS updates included as standard
When we're hosting your LMS, we will proactively ensure that 'Maintenance' release updates are applied on a regular basis (e.g. 1.1.X). These updates typically include bug fixes and/or security patches. Note that we will always seek your agreement before applying any update.
Kineo offers additional hosting services as bespoke options, including but not limited to:
- Content Delivery Network (CDN) solutions
- High Availability and Geographic Redundancy
- Penetration Testing
- Load and Stress Testing
- Extended validation SSL certificates
- Extended retention periods for backups
Yes, you are very welcome to self-host, although it's not something we encourage. Your LMS and the surrounding hosting environment are intrinsically linked, meaning that by hosting with Kineo we're able to manage and maintain the full end-to-end system, and provide you with an optimal support service.
Unless you have a specific requirement for Dedicated or High Availability hardware, a Cloud instance offers two major advantages:
- Lower price point, as the cost of hardware is spread across multiple Cloud servers
- Cloud server resources, e.g. disc space and RAM, can be quickly scaled up or down, meaning minimal disruption for your site and its users
We have deliberately chosen not to offer shared hosting, whereby your site shares a server operating system instance with other neighbouring clients. A shared hosting environment would not meet our standards in terms of assured resource allocation and robust data segregation.
Get in touch