Harmony week (21-25 March) celebrates Australia’s cultural diversity. It is about inclusiveness, respect and a sense of belonging for everyone. In this week, we celebrate our multiculturalism and the successful integration of migrants into our community.
Australia is one of the most successful multicultural countries in the world - and at Kineo, we celebrate every year to learn more about our respective cultures, and in order to maintain it. We wear the colour orange chosen to represent Harmony week. Traditionally, orange signifies social communication and meaningful conversations. It also relates to the freedom of ideas and encouragement of mutual respect.
Australia is a vibrant and multicultural country – from the oldest continuous culture of our first Australians to the cultures of our newest arrivals from around the world. Our cultural diversity is one of our greatest strengths and is at the heart of who we are. It makes Australia a great place to live.
An integrated multicultural Australia is an integral part of our national identity. All people who migrate to Australia bring with them some of their own cultural and religious traditions, as well as taking on many new traditions. Collectively, these traditions have enriched our nation.
There are some fascinating statistics about Australia’s diversity:
- Nearly half (49%) of Australians were born overseas or have at least one parent who was
- We identify with over 300 ancestries
- Since 1945, more than 7.5 million people have migrated to Australia
- 85% of Australians agree multiculturalism has been good for Australia
- Aside from English, the most common languages spoken are Mandarin, Arabic, Cantonese, Vietnamese, Italian, Greek, Tagalog/Filipino, Hindi, Spanish and Punjabi.
- More than 70 Indigenous languages are spoken in Australia APAC is the most diverse team in City & Guilds group, where at least 15 languages are spoken.
We hold presentations from individuals that wish to share some of their cultural customs and bring a share plate across an extended lunch. Community is important to Kineo and Harmony Day is a great opportunity to connect with fellow colleagues in teams we don’t interact with often.